Maybe 2017 wasn’t the best year in your marriage. Maybe you made some small improvements, but you want 2018 to really be better. This leads to many couples setting New Year’s Resolutions together.
As a Raleigh marriage counselor and coach, I encourage my clients to envision what they want to see change in their marriage. I hear a few resolutions more than others from my clients.
5 of the most common marriage New Year’s Resolutions are:
- Argue Less: This is a great goal! I regularly help my clients determine what disagreements need to be resolved and agreement reached on and which ones it is okay to see differently. Then, we help set communication expectations in order to have discussions instead of arguments.
- Determine Needs: Every individual in all marriages have needs. The challenge is the needs of the two people are often different. Thus, it is important to take time and figure out what the other one needs. Whether it is more communication, appreciation, time with each other, etc.
- Build Up the Other Spouse: After determining what the spouse needs, a great resolution is to consistently meet each other’s needs in a spirit of love and generosity. Maybe showing more appreciation, or communicating appreciation, would go a long way. Maybe, some spouses need more time together.
- Get on the Same Financial Page: Money is a tough part of marriage and many couples see money differently. Many times, one spouse makes a resolution about the finances but their spouse really isn’t on board. I have found that it is easier to start this resolution with communicating about how each individual feels about money and how to spend it.
- Not Get Divorced: For some of the couples reading this, the only goal for 2018 is to stay married. And that’s a great goal! But a marriage should do more than just survive, it should thrive. There is a good chance that there some unaddressed challenges making this goal harder than it needs to be, and a marriage coach may be the best way to get this resolution on the road to success.
Are you now thinking about setting New Year’s Resolutions for marriage? That’s a great idea! I would love to help you and your spouse do just that! Call me at (919) 924-0463 and let’s set up a free consultation today.